SPALDING


Home  |  Attractions   |   On the Land   |   Sport   |  Facilities     |   Community   |   Businesses


 

 

 



History

It was not until 1869, that the Spalding area was made available to farmers. Prior to that time there was five sheep runs, Bundaleer, Booborowie, Canowie, Hill River and Bungaree.

Mr. J B Hughes registered a Pastoral Lease in 1861, having purchased some land adjoining the River Broughton on a freehold basis in 1856. The Government Gazette of 1844 shows that the William Robinson held an Occupational Lease over 'Hill River'. C B Fisher took over this lease in 1859.

The hundred of Andrews was gazetted on November 24th 1864. In 1869 the first farmers to arrive were Harry Hopping and Hugh McCullum, who took up land on a freehold basis. And so the community began to grow.

On July 30th, 1885, the District Council of Spalding was proclaimed.

There are many significant firsts in the establishment of a township and district, too many to mention in a brief sketch of the community history. The following are a few interesting and significant dates:

circa 1875
WE Lunn's first Shop and Post Office
1877
First hotel built and licensed
1879
Free Presbyterian Gaelic Church opened
1881
Presbyterian Church opened
1892
Cricket Club in existence
1893
Football club in existence
1893
First Council Office built
1897
Telephone lines opened between Gulnare and Spalding
1898
Institute Built
1898-1902
Bundaleer Reservoir & Channel system constructed
1909
Catholic Church consecrated
1911
Bank of Adelaide built
1913
School residence built
1920-1921
Doctor appointed for the districts - Dr Black
1921
St. Joseph's Convent built
1922
First train to Spalding
1923
Police station built
1925
Anglican Church built
1925
Post Office and Residence built
1926
Hospital opened
1928
Uniting (Methodist) Church opened
1929
Present Primary School built
1930
District Hall opened
1941
Morgon Whyalla pipeline constructed
1944
Installation of main's water
1951
Electricity connected to Spalding
1955
RSL hall opened
1960
Swimming Pool officially opened
1963-1964
Wheat silo constructed at Andrews
1976
Centenary Park dedicated

 

Home   |   Attractions   |   Land   |   Sport   |   Facilities   |   Community   |   Businesses